Due to the different roles individuals may play in life and the uncontrollable situations that may arise, stress may easily creep into their daily lives as a result. It is crucial that individuals participate in self-care behaviors to reduce stress. It is very easy for individuals to participate in self-care behaviors such as brushing teeth and bathing/showering daily but sometimes it seems difficulty to participate in self-care behaviors such as relaxation and “Me” time. All of them are important in regards to individuals’ overall health.
You may also like these posts for more Ideas to Reduce Stress:
When working in a field that gives you a platform to help others, it is easy to put self-care behaviors such as relaxation and “Me” time on the back burner. While this can be fulfilling, one must be careful to not leave out time for self-care behaviors. I was guilty of this in the past. I would focus most if not all of my time on job related activities.
I began to experience stress that lead to burn out. Burn out may reduce the chances of being effective in the different roles one may play in life. I had to take a step back and see what I needed to do differently. I created a list of self-care behaviors and I incorporated them into my life.
Here are 5 self-care behaviors that may help reduce stress
1. Set some time aside to participate in relaxing activities. Give your mind and body a break. Everyone may have different preferences of pampering. Find one that you love and go all in. I love sitting and sipping tea, listening to calming music, spa bath, massage, etc.
2. May sure you have 8 hours of sleep. Sleep is important. When the body lacks sleep, it does not function as it should. The body may become tired and weak which will make it more difficult to handle any stress that may arise. Lack of sleep may also make it difficult to function effectively. When I lack sleep, I miss important details that I would normally recognize.
3. Find a person that you trust for support. Talk it out (vent and go over possible solutions). It could be a friend or professional. Writing could be another option. Writing can also be use as a way to vent and create solutions.
4. Have an optimistic attitude. Sometimes, situations happen in life that we do not have any control over. It may be beneficial to look at the bright side of the situation. My aunt always discussed how there is always a bright side of the situation. The situation could have been worst.
5. Participate in some form of exercise. Exercise may help the body reduce stress levels by releasing happy chemicals called endorphins. I always have a burst of happiness after exercising.
By taking time out to participate in these self-care behaviors, individuals may be equipping themselves with the necessary tools to handle and reduce stress. Individuals may also become more effective in the different roles they may play in life. This list is constantly growing as I am always finding more ways to participate in these type of self-care behaviors.
Do you have any self-care behaviors that you participate in that may reduce stress?
Let’s stay connected. Don’t forget to like my facebook page.