Self talk can be a great tool use in life when it comes to tackling tasks or goals, but there is a form of self talk that can be detrimental to your progress in the process. It is negative self talk.
Have you ever attempted to complete a task whether it is personal or business related and you tell yourself that You Can’t or You’re not good enough to do it, etc? I have quite a few times. I mean there have been times that I have almost literally talked myself out of even trying.
This is called negative self talk. By listening to those voices, you are self sabotaging your own progress. You are not giving yourself a chance. But it does not have to continue, you can stop it. It can be stop by replacing it with positive self talk. Well, you may wonder HOW?
There are some steps that I use to change those voices in my head. I have used these steps in the past to help me and when negative self talk try to come now, I still use them. Because it will try to continue to show up but since I have a process in my possession, it doesn’t stand a chance now.
In life, it is all about having the right tools to make it. I am not perfect, I am a work in progress. As as long as I continue to do the work on myself, I will continue to strive. Some days are GREAT and some days I have to get my list of steps out and go to work.
I always believe that there is so much work individuals can be doing on themselves until they will not have time to worry about what others are doing. I had to add this because many waste time that they can be investing in themselves on worry about the next person which will yield no return for them.
Back to the topic, you can change those voices in your head to your cheerleaders instead of naysayers.
Steps to change (transform) those naysayers in your head to cheerleaders
1. Acknowledge that the negative self talk is there and jot down the sayings on a piece of paper by itself.
2. Ok, so you see what they are saying, now write down some strengths you have or what you are good at on another piece of paper. You can take your time on this step because the more the better. Now, challenge the negative self talk. Talk back.
3. Write out some past accomplishments. This will remind yourself that you have what it takes to accomplishment what you are trying to do. You are an achiever!
You can also take your time on this step because you are getting that boost of motivation to develop positive self talk. You are being your own cheerleader. Check out my blog post out on “Why You Need To Be Your Own Best Cheerleader” here.
I also wrote a blog post on “How Positive Self Talk Changed My Life”. Read it here.
4. Develop some positive self talk to constantly tell yourself. Write a list. Be generous with this list, you are worth it 🙂
5. Destroy the piece of paper with the negative self talk.
6. Practice using the positive self talk, the more you use it, the more it will be in your mind. As Norma Vincent Peale says, “Change your thoughts and you can change your world.”
While working through these steps, you will be self esteem building, developing more tools to help you accomplish your goals, and eliminating the negative self talk out of your mind.
Now watch your world change 🙂
I would love feedback, how do you eliminate the negative self talk when it comes?
Let’s stay connected. Don’t forget to like Facebook page.