Hey loves, is it cold enough for it? It is for me. Anywho, I am back with the latest dish on the menu at my house. It consists of a mock meat or seafood and vegan cheese.
This dish is actually a treat for me. It is not something that I would eat often. This dish can get unhealthy.
So, the goal is to make it as healthy as possible. Granted, mock meat or seafood and vegan cheese usually involve soy. I found some soy free ingredients. YAY!!
Believe it or not, there are little things in a dish that you can substitute to make it healthy for you.
I didn’t use butter, salt, or oil in this dish since I would be using vegan cheese. That is like overkill to me. I am pushing it with the vegan cheese lol.
I didn’t sauteed the prawns or onions, bell pepper, or garlic with oil. I substituted the oil with vegetable broth.
The dish is vegan king prawns & cheesy grits. I found the soy free vegan king prawns at an Asian Market. I found the soy free So Delicious cheese at Whole foods.
Also, vegan cheeses can be hit or miss with taste. This brand is actually delicious.
Let’s get to the recipe. Shall we?
Vegan King Prawns (soy free)
1 cup Vegetable broth
smoked paprika to taste
creole seasoning to taste
black peppercorn to taste
1/4 chopped onion
1/4 chopped yellow bell pepper
1 chopped garlic clove
1/2 cup grits
2 cups water
splash of almond milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese (So Delicious brand Soy free)
parsley to garnish
- I boiled the water (2 cups) for the grits. After water is boiled, I added grits and let them cooked for about 20 to 25 minutes (stirring them every couple minutes) until they were nice and thick to me. Since I was going to be adding cheese later, I didn’t used any butter or salt.
- During the last fifteen minutes of the grits cooking, I prepared the thawed vegan prawns (about 10 of them). I like for everything to be done around the same time. I seasoned them with smoked paprika, creole seasoning, & black peppercorn.
- I sauteed them in a saucepan with some vegetable broth for a few minutes. Maybe 3 to 4 minutes on each side. I start off with 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and added more if needed.
- You can sauteed your onion, yellow bell pepper, and garlic with the prawns or you can do them separately. It just depends on how you like them or what you are feeling at the time. I did them separately this time. I sauteed them in some vegetable broth for a few minutes (until the onions are translucent or til your liking). I used about 1/4 cup of vegetable broth.
- Finished with all of that. Lastly, the cheese was added to the grits. After the grits were done in the 1st step, I added 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese and a splash of almond milk to them. I stirred until the cheese melted for a couple minutes.
This is enough for two servings.
Now, everything is ready to be plated. I put the grits in the bowl and added the prawns and sauteed onions, bell pepper, & garlic on top. Finally, I garnished with parsley. Viola, Yummy! Cheers to another hit in my house.
As always, feel free to adjust ingredients to your liking. I look at recipes as a starting point or inspiration. You can omit and add whatever you like. We all have different taste buds.
Wishing everyone a beautiful weekend!!!
Until next time